San Juan de Dios Hospital of Granada(1905-1998)

The intention of building a hospital for the city of Granada dates back to 1626, when Bishop F. Benito Baltodano (Bishop of Nicaragua, 1621-1629), after having obtained funds from the Spanish crown, to found a college of Jesuitas, destined resources for the construction of Church of Guadalupe and a hospital they would call San Juan de Dios. This was built in the central area of Granada, on the southeast side of Plaza Mayor (now central park), with its facade geared towards Calle Real.

In 1850, part of the hospital was sold with the aim of raising funds, and the commune needed to open a street (what would in the future be called Calle de Vega). In 1854 you could see the San Juan de Dios Chapel that also gave to Calle Real. With the fire of 1856, the building was fully burned, and set to build a new one in another sector of the city, located 100 meters from the southeast corner of Plaza Mayor, near the neighborhood Cuiscoma. But this new hospital as of 1880 did not meet the demand of the population, which at that time was approximately 56,000 inhabitants. (Nicaragua’s most populous). So it was projected to move it to another more suitable site and outside of the city.

The land chosen by the charity board is located in the neighborhood La Otra Banda, of Miss Elena Arellano, a place of favorable ventilation and isolation from the city. The Dr. Juan Ignacio Urtecho was the one who sold the land for the street of the hospital (Actual Avenue Elena Arellano). Engineer Theodoro Hocke (founder of the Association of Engineers and Builders of the Republic of Nicaragua) is commissioned to design the building, which he made without charge. Work began in 1886, by the esteemed Master Carlos Ferrey, who was based on plans in the form of ′′ H ′′ of Hocke’s design (which for lack of funds was never built like this). Unfortunately, while going through half the building, Master Ferrey passed away, replacing his children to conclude it. Already for 1900 doors and windows were placed.

In 1901, the construction of horcones was given to the west. In 1903 the west runner closing the first courtyards was closed. A department of internal uses and pavilion was built to watch over the dead, with areas of autopsy and study of new doctors. The contouring of the building was also closed with barbed wire to not allow animals to enter, and the necessary sinks were built. The hospital opening act took place on December 31, 1905.

The hospital operated, grew and modified over the years, westward, and operated until 1998, when its hospital functions were moved to the new Japan-Nicaragua Hospital building, located outside pomegranate, near Granada Road – Managua. The building, former San Juan de Dios Hospital of Granada, has passed through the administrations of the Ministry of Health, to the Mayor of Granada, to the Institute of Tourism and again to the Mayor of Granada, trying to escape the expensive maintenance of these buildings Disused. They were dismantled their doors, windows, roof cover, large roof beams, wooden pillars, among many other elements, due to the abandonment and lack of interest of the different authorities in charge of the building.

In 2012 the Institute of Tourism carried out a project of protective works, but it was only in plans. In 2016, the central government through Mayor of Granada carried out some structural reinforcement work so that the building does not collapse due to lack of cover and abandonment.This building shows one of the most integral facades of Neoclassical and symmetrical stylistic. Its monumentality is reflected in three main volumes, located at the ends (north and south towers) and at the center of the two-level central tower (where the administration was located). Which is also the main access. All forming a horizontal composition with pilasters embedded in pairs, topped by Corinthian capitals. Each pair of pilasters frames a typical half-point door with modillion. A horizontal cornice strip runs through the entablishment formed by volumetric out goals that in turn, served as a basis for a stylized split pediment and oculus in the central tower. Inside central patios with corridors portrayed colonial background.

In my opinion, the building or crunch this, which is the main facade it gives, to Arellano Avenue, should be restored by the different institutions of the state that are renting from one side to another, which often not even the same taxi drivers know where They are. Type a civic center containing several institutions in one place, could include the municipal library, and make one of its wings a small center of culture or exhibition of works.

Already some illustrious Grenadines in the past proposed similar ideas, but as long as there is no interest in the rescue of the main building and other areas that have not yet been used by the new pomegranate mayor and also the parking area of the old access Main, who occupy as a hold and heavy machinery yard, which is seriously damaging the building, we will continue despite seeing how each day this national heritage is destroyed, in its abandonment.

Shared by Arq. Alvaro Chamorro M.